Sunday, June 28, 2009

Piggy Backers

I have noticed a new class of people - piggy backers. Piggy backers are people who feel the need to piggy back off your story or your conversation and make it about them. I didn't notice these people until someone pointed them out to me at work. I noticed there were certain people who always got under my skin but I couldn't put my finger on it. They weren;t dumb, or mean or rude. But there was something about them. Then my co-worker explained that piggy-backers are folks who need to somehow relate your story to something similar they have experienced. Example:
"Oh my God I drank waaaay to much on Saturday and felt awful the next morning."
"I know me too! I totally got wasted but I ate some food before I went to bed and felt a little bit better."
or:
"I went shopping for shoes this weekend"
"I went to the outlets in Camarillo and found these fabulous shoes that I can use for work or when I go out. They also match this purse I found!"

Now here is the tricky thing with these folks, and piggy backing in general. Piggy backing off of someone else' story it normal. We all do it. It makes for good conversation. BUT NOT IF YOU DO IT ALL THE TIME. At that point it just sounds like you are always try to trump the last persons story or make the conversation about you. Inevitable everyone will start thinking you are an a-hole. Please stop it folks. Piggy backing - like most things - is only good in small doses.

No comments:

Post a Comment