Monday, June 2, 2008

The Cure...and lots of other stuff

Woohooo! The show last night was freaking awesome. The Cure played 3 hours and had 3 freaking encores. I thought they were done after they ended the second encore with Killing An Arab (which in case you dont know, the song is an entire refrence to Albert Camus' book THE STRANGER; hence the lyrics "I'm just a stranger/Killing an Arab". But within a minute and a half of them walking off stage for the second time Robert Smith and the boys were back out there and played for about another 15 minutes. Simply amazing the amont of energy The Cure can evoke especially when it is easy to stigmatize them as a goth band. I think a lot of us forget that The Cure were originally more on the punk side of the music genre before carving out their own musical niche in rock history. Anyway, three hours, a small venue and a great performance. I had a great time. I will post video on here soon.

On a side note, as I was driving home last night from the show I looked out through the passenger seat window and saw downtown L.A. shinning with all it's lights and thought, "how sad is it that I wont be around to see the 'new' L.A." I am pretty positive that a year from now I will be taking a cue from the Ramone's second album and "Leave Home". The chances of me finding a job here will be slim and so I have come to embrace the idea of leaving L.A. I will more than likely leave not only L.A. and southern California but the state as well. It kind of bums me out that I wont be around when the new L.A. Live is finished or that I wont be able to see if the new Light Rail system gets more people to use public transportation. I am even bummed that I wont be able to see the new USC Activities Center be completed. Oh well, you can't have your cake and eat it too. I will be gone for a few years and see what the rest of the country has to offer and maybe someday I will come back out to California and settle down. At least that is the plan.

Oh and did I mention GO CELTICS! Thats right, as much as I love L.A. I HATE the Lakers. My uncle who has been the biggest influence on my sporting life, along with my grandfather, is a huge Celtics fan so i grew up rooting for the dying dynasty of Bird, Parish and Machale. So I have suffered for my entire life as a Celtc fan but now I have something to root for. Especially considering how annoying many Laker fans are. Seriously, what is the point of putting a Laker flag on your car. I dont care if you like the Lakers and I am unimpressed by your putting it up on your car. Now if you lived in Boston and put up a Lakers flag that is a different story all together. That makes sense - it would be an outward sign of defiance. But thats not what this is. Even worse who are all these bandwagon Laker fans? Were we these flags that last few years? Hell, where were these flags as late as this April? Nowhere. It is crap like this that give L.A. the rep of being a town of plastic phonies who follow trends. Thats right Laker fan - I BLAME YOU! Hopefully in two weeks the pride of Beantown will be hoisting their 17th championship trophy. This one is for Red!

No comments:

Post a Comment