Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Less Money More Problems...

OK,
So remember the Puff Daddy, Mase, B.I.G. song "Mo Money Mo Problems?" Well let me tell you something I would love for someone to give me money so I can test out the thesis statement of that song. As far as I am concerned the less money you have the more problems you are likely to acquire. 
Case and point as I mentioned earlier I was not going to make a single dime between early May and mid August. During that time I have had to pay for a trip to Milwaukee, gas, credit card bill, 3 units of tuition, a wedding present for a friend, cell phone bill, and car insurance.
That doesn't include the little things that I did not budget for like locking myself out of my car (twice). Needless to say times are tough in the old wallet and this week they got a whole lot tougher. In the middle of this financial squeeze I have been asked to bail out dear old mom one more time. This time to the tune of 2500 dollars. I did my math and estimated that I can cash advance only 2000 from my American Express so that is all she is getting. And with that I can most assuredly say that the next month and half are going to be a major pain in the ass. I still have money set aside for my last car insurance, credit card, and cell phone bills. But besides that I think I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 23 dollars.

I will say one thing though I am glad this happened now. The day before being asked for the money I spoke with my grandmother and grandfather. They are about to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary in November. I asked them, "how did you do it?" The y said two things. One, when the other person gets mad - leave them alone. It takes two people to argue so just leave them alone and deal with the problem later when all the emotion is out of the situation. But its the second piece of advice that has really helped me out. They said that when you start a new family that new family has to come first. You cant allow your parents, brothers, and sisters to butt themselves into the creation of your new family. I think that helps me put somethings in perspective. I cant keep bailing my folks out or else I will never be able to start my own life. When I was 18 I gave my mom 10,000 dollars that was supposed to go to my college education. I am guessing I have given my dad somewhere around 2500 dollars in the last 6 years (though that number is deceiving and unfair to my mom because a lot of the money I have given my mom has been to deal with the various liens and debts created by my father). As for mom, I would say that with this 2000 I have given her about 6000 dollars in help over the last 6 years. If I were rich, or was working that be one thing. But I have been a college student the majority of that time. But I gave what I could give because they were my family and I felt the obligation to do so. But I can;t do that anymore.

I am trying to start my own life ad the means doing what is right for me financially. Like I have said before I am mre then likely going to have to move, maybe even find an apartment, start saving money. Everything is going to fall into place quickly in the next few months. So its imperative that I start looking out for myself. Granted, not that any of you who are reading this need to know that, but maybe its just important that I write that down somewhere so I can remind myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment