Sunday, April 6, 2008

Legs are sore but I am cool with it...


So this weekend I participated in Relay For Life (which is 24 hour fundraiser/event) put on by various organizations through the American Cancer Society. I was the team captain for my residence hall and while I was looking forward to the event since it was first mentioned at the beginning of the year it took on a more personal perspective due to my grandfather. Just a couple of months ago he was diagnosed with throat cancer and just recently finished his last chemotherapy treatment. Walking and jogging as much as I did over the last 24 hours was a little difficult, some times tedious and because I hate to stretch left me a little sore. But it was worth it because I felt that in some way I was supporting my grandfather. I was doing something in honor of him. I remember watching him just a few weeks ago. He was weak and frail. Lying on his side, thinner then usual, with no energy. I remember talking to him and during a pause he got up to use the restroom. He struggled to get up but when he finally left the room the emotion came over me. The reality of the situation and the toll of this disease on him overwhelmed me. I began to tear up (in case you dont know I am a bit of a crier). I held it together and composed myself by helping my grandmother clean some of the house windows. Thankfully, he seems a lot better now. He is still thin. Still limited in what he ca he eat. But when I visited him today he was no longer confined to his bead. He was in his front yard watering and tending to his plants and flower. For a split second normalcy had been restored to my life, and more importantly his.
I am just happy that he is getting better and that I could do a little something to show my support to him and others.

No comments:

Post a Comment