Thursday, April 3, 2008

FAN?


The past week has been a reminder of what it means to be a fan. I have seen the best and the worst of “fans” and even had to ask myself if I am a fan. I went to three Dodger games in four days. Sitting behind a group of Red Sox fans on Friday was great. They were fun, they had energy and they weren’t rude or threatening when they were rooting against other people. Watching Red Sox fans sing Sweet Caroline in the middle of an inning or chanting “Wicked Awesome” were highlights of the night. In contrast the Dodger fans on Saturday were awful. That is not to indict all Dodger fans. Only the element that gets in peoples’ faces and yell things like “Fuck Boston”, or get into fights throughout the coliseum, or the one’s who are busying getting arrested for stealing flags while the owner of the Dodger’s thanks the fans and sings their praises.
The fan behavior was a million times better for opening day. I don’t know if that had to do with the people involved or the change of venue from the Coliseum to Dodger Stadium. All of it really made me think ‘what make s a good fan? How do you tow the line between booing or jeering and becoming an asshole? How do you craft a chant directed at a player or a team that doesn’t cross the line where people are being disrespectful or inappropriate?’

Not only that but what the hell would drive someone to get into a fight or do something so stupid that it is going to get them kicked out of the game. Should we just assume that the fans of that team are all a-holes. Should we blame the organization for not addressing the issue of fan behavior with their fans? Or is just that these people are idiots and every team has fans who are morons and are going to act a fool.
Being a fan is also about commitment and dedication. I love and am dedicated to the Dodgers and most people would also say that I am fan of pro wrestling. But I am really starting to doubt that I am still a fan of wrestling. This weekend marked the second straight Wrestlemania I haven’t watched. I missed the Hall of Fame ceremony too! I seriously was willing to say Monday morning that I was no longer a fan of wrestling.
And then for the first time in nearly a year I watched more than twenty minutes of wrestling. And I saw the retirement ceremony for one of the greatest wrestlers/performers of all time – The Nature Boy Ric Flair. And I had a smile on my face like a little kid the entire time. And even more important I cared about what was happening. I had an emotional investment about what was happening in the ring. So while I admit that I am not as big a fan I am still committed, I still care. I am fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment