Tuesday, February 2, 2010

OSCARS

Oscar nominations came out today. At first I was a little skeptical of expanding the best picture category to 10 nominees but I actually like the way it worked out. It allows for deserving commercially successful films to get their due recognition. It also allows films in genres that are not normally recognized (animation and sci-fi) to get their moment in the limelight. The following are films and actors I am rooting for (not necessarily the poeple who I think will win):

Best Picture: I would love to see Up win but lets face it, it has a snowball's chance in hell. Speaking of hot places I hope the Hurt Locker wins. However, the film hasn't gotten a lot of public buzz and may be overwhelmed by the hype of Avatar.
Best Actress: This thing is a freaking toss up. After getting screwed over the last two years Meryl Streep may get a "make up" Oscar for Julie and Julia, which is a far less impressive performance then what she pulled off in Doubt and the Devil Wears Prada. Hellen Merian is a always a favorite in this category and I can see this category being used to recognize "An Education". Personally, I am rooting for Gaby Sidibe or Sandra Bullock.
Best Actor: Micahel Stuhlbarg! How did this guy NOT get nominated for his performance in A Serious Man! so upset about this. There will be serious buzz for Jeremy Renner and Colin Firth (deservingly so) but I think this one is headed Jeff Bridge's way.
Supporting Actor: Christopher Waltz - no one else even needs to show up.
Supporting Actress: Monique (I hope she refers to the other nominees as "skinny bitches").
Director: Kathryn Bigelow. I really hope James Cameron doesn't win for this one. I don't know why. I know he did is amazing things with regards to redefining film making but directing is about being able to tell a story and thats what Ms. Bigelow does in the Hurt Locker.

Screenplay Original: A Serious Man (one of my top four favorite movies of the year)
Screenplay Adapted: Up In The Air (no way the genius of the young Reitman goes unrecognized on Oscar night)

No comments:

Post a Comment