Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Jack Black Is Not Funny...

O.K. So I spent part of my weekend in L.A. going to a comedy benefit show at the Nokia Theater in downtown L.A. When I originally bought the tickets months ago (way back in November I believe) the show was to be hosted by Will Ferrell and headlined by Demetri Martin and Zack Galifinakis. "Awesome," i thought. I immediately bought some tickets and was geeked for a good time. Well sometime in January Zac Galifinakis' name was taken off the advertisements. I got a little nervous. But I went from nervous to horrified when it was announced that Tenacious D would be added to the bill. I held out hope. I prayed that I would be proven wrong. But unfortunately I was correct. Jack Black is NOT funny. The man is a void of comedy. He is a black hole of humor. I assure you that all the artist at the show are less funny just because he was in their general proximity.
I don't understand how this guy has a career? If being fat and annoying gets you to the top in show business I wish someone would have told me! It was bad enough they weren't funny. It was worse that they CLOSED the freaking show. Song after song with no one laughing. It was death. And again, for all the Jack Black lovers who are going to give me a hard time: I wanted him to be funny. I wanted to be wrong. But the whole freaking crowd just sat there nervously watching this awkward unfunny act. Everyone just sat there uncomfortably hoping against hope that they would do something to salvage. People would scream as they went into the opening cords of some of their "hit songs." But thirty seconds in the same people were just sitting there with a look on their face as if to say, "when did I ever laugh at this?"
Thats a good question. Here is my theory. Jack Black/Tenacious D fans are people who hear Tenacious D in college. At that point in their lives folks are a weird combination of being altered by some sort of drug mixed with college age immaturity/stupidity. So it doesn't strike me as strange that someone like that would think to themselves, "wow this is funny." Who else could listen to songs, whose only purpose seem to be to allow Jack Black to use words like "shit", "fuck" and "motherfucker" and think thats funny? That maybe funny the first time. But guess what? That shit gets old real quick.
That one of the bigger the problem with Tenacious D, unlike Flight of the Conchords the song's lyrics aren't funny. Tenacious D's punchline is the cuss word. If you grow out of thinking the word "cock" is funny then you aren't going to laugh at a Tenacious D performance. And that was the total vibe at L.A. Live last night. bunch of people who remember Tenacious D being funny 10 years ago all of a sudden sat in front of that same group and went, "oh wait a minute. this is actually pretty shitty."
I guess what I am saying is: Jack Black. Stop it. Seriously. You're not funny.

2 comments:

  1. Good post, and the guy hasn't improved since. I was just forced to watch "The holiday" and good god, honestly, why would a woman like Kate Winslet even look at a guy like Jack Black? Who did this casting? It was so out of place AND so unfunny and unoriginal I'm still confused about who the heck this guy sleeps wiht or supplies drugs to, because it cannot be anything else. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. watched high fidelity many years ago at the cinema,
    afterwards i said its okay i suppose
    but the fat annoying prick at the record shop sort of ruined it for me though
    and that talent vacuum's name was....

    ReplyDelete