Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Found the Internet and Coloring Books...

I found the internet!!! It was right outside my door. Literally
I found an internet connection the only catch is I have to be on the little stoop/patio outside of my mom's place. So here I am sitting enjoying the sunshine and the internet.
I was laying down trying to get to sleep a couple of nights ago and I though of something? "Do kids still get excited about coloring books?" Seriously? I remember when I was a kid over the summer I loved nothing more than drawing or coloring a coloring book. Especially if the coloring book told a story or have connect the dots or paint by numbers pages in them. But now I looks at kids and I cant imagine them being interested in coloring books!!! My half-brother is about to be 8 and he already has a cell phone, an xbox and is constantly playing on his mom's iPhone. Its ridiculous the amount of technological toys available to little kids.
The only reason that me and my brother even got a nintendo was because the lady that my dad was having an affair with had a nintendo and he felt bad that we didnt have one but that this kid did. But back to my point, kids are being overly stimulated at a young age.
I dont want kids playing on PSPs or Nintendo DSs. I want them to use coloring books. Before you know it they will be extinct. By the time we have kids they wont know what the hell a newspaper is, or lay-away (thats for my poor friends out there), or hell even chocolate milk? I havent seen a commercial for chocolate milk in ages? Do kids still drink it. All I am saying is lets let kids return to a simpler childhood.

1 comment:

  1. Based on my student teaching experience this past year, kids of all ages still get excited about chocolate milk. The kindergarten students and first graders were all about the coloring (I always brought a stack of coloring sheets along with me on days when I had to sub). To this day my mother thinks the best gift you can give a kid is a box of crayons, so she would agree whole-heartedly with your call for a return to coloring books. (Also, congrats on UCSD!)

    ReplyDelete