Friday, May 2, 2008

Japan and Paying for School.

So last Thursday I had a very cool experience. One of my classes video conferenced with students at a top university in Japan. It was a very cool way to find out how colleges operate in another country and what life is like for people half way across the world. Here are something I learned.
1. College students in Japan are even more career oriented than in the U.S.
2. Social interaction on college campuses there is very hard to come by.
3. I want a phone that plays and records live TV.

Seriously, I learned a lot of cool things. I got to ask students about what they do for fun and how likely it is for kids who parents never went to college to get into a college in Japan. But all of that was trapped by one moment. At one point a students phone went off and the class wanted to see it. The phone looked like a real sleek blackberry. But the student then explained that you could watch live TV on the screen. even better you could put in a small memory card and record live TV and watch the show later. Take that apple - where is my live television. The entire class was impressed and overwhelmed with that kind of technology. Why do I need to download old shows and movies when this technology is out there. Why are we so behind? If we can watch and record TV on a phone we can do anything. Next stop - jet pack!

p.s. I need to make sure that I find a summer job. I am taking over 6000 dollars in classes this summer. How many classes am I taking you may ask? TWO! Whats worse is that of the over 6000 dollars I am spending 40% is being spent on a class where all I do is work for free. I have an unpaid summer internship with a department at USC and that constitutes two units of my fieldwork class. I am paying the people I work for so that I can work for them for free. The only other people who pay the people who they work for are prostitutes. It hurts my head to even think about it. I swear sometimes I think grad school is all just a hustle.

1 comment: