Thursday, December 20, 2007

A New Rant - TEXTING


So the belief is that technology moves us forward. It drives our evolution, our ability to be innovative, make our lives easier. Technology means progress. Except for text messaging. I have found myself on various occasions having text message conversations with people. These conversations are about sporting events, what movies to watch later, scheduling a meeting, asking for directions. Just back and forth texting. And inevitably in the middle of this conversation I always think to myself, 'wouldn't it be great if there was someway I could just talk to this person instead of sitting here typing a message, sending it, then waiting for a reply and then starting the process over again?' I think this to myself while I am holding a damn cell phone! I can just call the person and talk to them! Why am I racking my brain typing?! 

Seriously - Thomas Edison is rolling in his grave. He gave us the ability to talk to one another from anywhere and what have we done? We have turned his ingenious machine, the phone, into a God damn morse code machine. Seriously, this is a piece of crap technology that moves us backwards.
Before people could communicate via phone they used a machine where they would use abrreviations, symbols and codes for words. They would then relay them to one another and wait for responses. Sound familiar? morse code is just freaking old school texting. So here is the new rule - unless you are afraid you are going to interrupt the person -just call the person. If you need to tell me something call me. I don't want to waste more time then I have to spelling out crap when I can just talk to you. Whats next? Are we going to start using smoke singles again? Seriously folks, lets use our brains here and use the phone for what it was meant for. Thats all I got for today.

2 comments:

  1. The best is when you have to write a bad word. It's such a pain when you're using T9 word you just decide not to swear and what's the fun in that?!

    And yes - Max and Roxter are very big and Roxy is in FULL Santa mode, she swears he's coming to HER house first! I bet he will too.

    ReplyDelete