Thursday, December 6, 2007

Chicken or the Egg?

I was wondering... Do I listen to depressing music because i am depressed or am I depressed because I listen to depressing music. Seriously. Its a pretty good question. I wonder what the answer is. Would I be happier if all I did was listen to the music on the radio. If all I listened to was commercial poppy/dance/clubbing music. Who knows. But maybe I like my depressing music. Not in the, "I embrace sadness" sort of way. Its just that music is better. The music s more substantive. Its got better lyrics and full of really good emotion. 
As a side note it weird that I am thinking about this - considering that I am in a pretty good mood.

lyric of the moment:
All your compliments and cutting remarks
Are captured here in my quotation marks
And I am giving you a longing look
Everyday, everyday I write the book. (Elvis Costello)

My top 5 songs from the past year:
1. The Pretender (Foo Fighters - Echos Silence Patience and Grace)
2. Little Motel (Modest Mouse - We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank)
3. God's Gonna Cut You Down - (Johnny Cash - A Hundred Highways)
4. Phantom Limb (The Shins - Wincing the Night Away)
5. Someday Baby (Bob Dylan - Modern Times)

next week - My Five Greatest Christmas Songs of All Time.

No comments:

Post a Comment