Sunday, January 26, 2014

A Change Is Gonna Come - yes it will

It's been too hard living but I'm afraid to die
'Cause I don't know what's up there beyond the sky
It's been a long, a long time coming
But I know a change gonna come, oh yes it will



I am pretty sure that the first time I was introduced to this song I was 16. I was watching the movie Malcolm X (a film I really enjoy). Towards the end of the movie there is a beautiful scene and the song behind it was “A Change Is Gonna Come” by Sam Cooke. 

Quick side note here: The fact that Denzel Washington did not win the Best Actor Academy Award that year is fucking astounding! He lost to Al Pacino for his portrayal in Scent Of A Woman. Look, I know the Academy throws Make Up Oscars (i.e. you should have won before, but you didn’t so we are giving it to you this year awards), Denzel even won one for his role in Training Day - but c’mon. Watch both performances and tell me Denzel didn’t deserve it.

Ok, back to the song. It just seemed so perfect for the scene. The song is written about a time and place in this country (1960s America). But the lyrics and performance are so human and relatable that it transcends that place in time. It’s a song that is relatable. It’s a song about community and the personal experience at the same time. It’s a song about hope in hopeless times. It’s a song about feeling isolated and alone but believing that somehow things will get better. It’s been a very important song that has gotten me through some tough times. It’s a song that holds up over time. 

I must admit that for years, I actually would listen to the Otis Redding version and not the Sam Cooke one - although I do feel that the Sam Cooke version is superior. Mr. Cooke has greater range and his voice offsets the sadness and loneliness of the lyrics. His voice is gives the song a touch of hope and beauty that is hidden in the song. Only a special artist like Sam Cooke can bring that hope and beauty out of this song. This is the song at the top of my funeral playlist (yes, I have a funeral playlist but that is a topic for another day). A Change Is Gonna Come is easily one of the 30 most important songs in my life.

Oh there been times that I thought I couldn't last for long
But now I think I'm able to carry on
It's been a long, a long time coming
But I know a change gonna come, oh yes it will




No comments:

Post a Comment