Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Robert Downey Jr. and the Four Souls...

The first of my 30 songs is…

Walk Like A Man by Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons. Due to Hurricane Sandy I was “stranded” in Las Vegas last year. A number of my co-workers and student staff were staying that the Paris Hotel which happened to hosting performances of Jersey Boys. The entire PA system belted the cast’s performances from the musical. Walk Like a Man played on the PA system relentlessly. I must have heard the song at least six times a day for about five days straight.  But this song didn’t make the list because of that trip, or because of it’s ties to my new home in New Jersey. 

It makes the list because of Robert Downey Jr. 

In 1993 the movie Hearts and Souls was released. I was 10. It starred RDJ, Charles Grodin (the dad from Beethoven), Kyra Sedgwick (Kevin Bacon’s wife and star of The Closer), Alfre Woodard (Desperate Housewives) and Tom Sizemore (who you may remember from Saving Private Ryan or Celebrity Rehab). 

Anyway, the plot follows four souls who come to realize that Downey is meant to finish the business they had no time to finish before their demise. It’s a sweet romantic comedy that was right in my mom’s wheel house. It was something we watched over and over again during summer vacations and on weekends. 

One of the recurring things in this movie was the use of the song Walk Like A Man. My brother, mom and I would sing it and it became a staple of our childhood, including when we had to go on long walks together. Not too mention it’s a pretty great doo woo song. So for those reasons, Walk Like A Man makes the list.







No comments:

Post a Comment