Sunday, April 18, 2010

Birthdays...

So I was thinking recently...Has facebook ruined the act of wishing someone a happy birthday? Wishing someone a happy birthday was traditionally a sign that someone had invested the time and energy needed to remember your birthday, mark it on the calendar, go to a store and buy a card or even go online and find an e-card to send.

But facebook has ruined all that.

Wishing someone a happy birthday is only part of it value. Its real worth comes in knowing that someone has burned some calories in order to remember your birthday and send a message. Wishing someone a happy birthday shouldn't be too easy. I want to know that the person sending me a birthday message had put some time and energy into remembering my birthday. Facebook undermines that.

People no longer need to put their friend's birthdays on a calendar. People no longer need to remember their friend's birthday. Facebook is doing for birthdays what cell phones did for phone numbers. People don't need to remember either because technology will remember it for them. Facebook removes the value from someone wishing you a happy birthday. I honestly get a bigger kick out of someone sending me a happy birthday text three days late then someone writing a note on my wall. Why? Because I figure that the person who sent the text actually had to burn some calories in order to remember my birthday. With the facebook wall post I don't know if the person actually remembered my birthday or if they saw a reminder while they were stalking someone from high school.

No comments:

Post a Comment