Tuesday, March 25, 2014

A Song To Get Carried Away By...

I think this song 10 on my list of 30. It’s the third track off of Passion Pit’s 2012 album Gossamer. It is Carried Away. 

Before I get into the song any further. The lead singer of Passion Pit looks like former USC QB and Heisman Trophy winner Matt Leinart. I'm serious just look at the pictures and tell me I am crazy. I dare you. 

I don't think I ever would have listed to Passion Pit before coming to New Jersey and being introduced to them during, of all things, an orientation leader recruitment video.

What I really like about this song is that I can play it in just about any mood and it makes sense. It’s a poppy upbeat track filled with synthesizers. It just sounds fun. It makes you feel happy. I’ve seen this band live and the concert is high energy and tons of fun. When it comes to this song the crowd LOVES singing the chorus. But the beauty of the song is that it's lyrics betray it’s musical tone.

The song is about flawed, doomed, tumultuous relationships and friendships and the self destructive roles people play in them. Here are some of lines that I particularly enjoy.

Listen, I'm your friend (don't quote me)
But not a friend worth noting
Yes, please don't ever note me as your friend

Who says we have cold hearts?
Acting out our old parts
Let's perform our favorite little scene

I get carried away
Carried away from you
And I'm hoping and I'm praying
Cause I'm sorry, sorry about that
Sorry about the things that I said
Always let it get to my head

Anybody who has been in a relationship or friendship that just seems to be filled with selfishness, self destructiveness and passive aggressiveness will appreciate the lyrics. And if you can’t appreciate the lyrics, just dance to the infectious beat and sing aloud to the chorus! It’s a win either way.

Passion Pit’s Carried Away may not age well 5, 10 or 20 years from now but it’ll always remind me of certain people and take me back to a place and time in my life. Plus, the music video is pretty damn good.


No comments:

Post a Comment