Sunday, March 20, 2011

Fear and Loathing In Arizona...

I am sitting here in the Phoenix Airport thinking about the vacation I just took here to see Angels and Dodgers Training Camp.

It was a great time and a nice respit from work and other realities. I want to briefly run down some thoughts:

1. I am no longer allowed to travel with an iPod. I lost my iPod Touch on this trip. I lost it taking the Super Shuttle from PHX. Here is the thing: my head phones are great in terms of comfort but the cord is awful. the cord comes in two separate parts. One piece is approx. 14 inches long - which is not long at all. There is no slack at all and you constantly have to connect this cord to an extension cord that adds another 20 inches or so. I dont know why Sony decided to have this stupid two part cord - but they did. Well the when I walked out of the shuttle I felt my head phones around my neck and assumed my iPod was still with me. Nope. The cords detached from one another and I just had on a pair of head phones with a 14 inch cord connected to nothing. I figured it out in an hour and half called Super Shuttle but they said they couldn't find it. In sum, I am an idiot.

2. Arizona hates recycling. I couldn't find recycling bins to save my life. They were nowhere to be found in the hotel, and the Spring Training Facilities, at restaurants or bars. I couldn't find any recycle friendly bins anywhere. I was ecstatic when I saw one at the airport.


3. Arizona has some beautiful women. Well, not just some - ALOT! However, the sun does not treat them kindly. By the time you see  an AZ woman who is in here late forties there skin looks like it was replaced by leather suitcase. It's a shame.

4. I am not a party guy. I do not like going to bars and dropping 40 or so bucks on drinks that are going to lead me to make more bad decisions. However, when you are surrounded by 7 other dudes chances are you are going to deal with shenanigans like people falling asleep in restaurant bathrooms, inappropriate behavior in strip clubs (and think about what you have to do at a strip club for it to be considered inappropriate by the way), vandalism, and guys looking to pick fights. No good.

5. Old people LOVE to give unsolicited advice. An older cab driver gave me some advice as to what religion I should practice. Yesterday an elderly couple made recommendations about what food I should eat for breakfast and the older gentleman in the wheelchair sitting in front of me is at this very moment is giving school/life advice to the airport to the terminal attendant who is assigned to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment