Thursday, February 3, 2011

Racism On The Family Feud...

I don't get to watch daytime TV very often. So during my winter vacation when I saw the Family Feud I was surprised to see that Steve Harvey now hosts that show! I started watching the show midway through and saw that an African-American family was playing a latino family. The question they asked them to answer, I shit you not, was: "how do you get a bill collector off your back?"

My head almost fucking exploded!

By the way, what the hell was with the phrasing of the question!? The question wasn't, "how do people avoid bill collectors" it was, "how do YOU get bill collectors OFF YOUR BACK!"

Just the fact that a black and a latino family were on TV and being asked how to avoid a bill collector was funny/shocking. I had to watch how this played out.
Here were some of the answers that were given:

don't answer the phone,
screen your calls
have someone else answer,
change your number,
tell them your not working
disconnect your phone
move and,
tell them the person is dead!

Unbelievable. Who thinks to tell a bill collector that the person is dead? Who moves? how can you afford to up and move but not afford to pay a bill.

Well, if the unintentional racism couldn't get any worse/funnier there was one answer left on the board and neither family could correctly guess it. The answer was: "Pay the bill".

Of course, the people of color wouldn't ever guess to actually pay the bill...Jesus Christ! I couldn't believe what I had just seen. Maybe I need to buy a Tivo and record some more daytime TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment