Sunday, January 23, 2011

Address Labels Make Me Nervous...

Just a quick post. I give to quite a few charities. AIDS Project LA, Oxfam and a few others. Well over the course of the year I get small gifts from these folks, and those small gifts are almost always address labels. Most charities love to send you address labels as a sign of their appreciation and I appreciate the sentiment. But those little address labels freak me out! I now they are supposed to be tokens of gratitude - but I am a catholic. I have nothing but guilt and self-doubt driving me. The address labels make me feel bad for not giving more to these causes.

Then it gets worse, the guilt turns to fear. All of a sudden these address labels start to scare me. They are like a reminder from each of these organizations: "we know where you live and we are going to keep sending stuff! NOW HAND OVER THE MONEY OR WE'RE GOING OVER THERE!" The labels might as well be made out of letters cut from magazines.

So I say to these charities, 'please stop sending me address labels, they're freaking me out. Plus, I have enough address labels to last me a life time! Who sends out this many physical letters anymore?

No comments:

Post a Comment